Saturday, August 11, 2007

New Atheism? Same Result: God Still Exists

If the latest atheist craze, which some call the "New Atheism," interests you or even challenges you--and by that I mean arguments from Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett, et al.--then I suggest these two essays: "Hitchens’ Hubris" by Tom Piatak and "The Dawkins Confusion" by Alvin Plantinga.

Piatak's piece points out some weak argumentation by Hitchens and then explains many (though there are plenty more) of the errors that Hitchens states and apparently believes in. One may take issue with some of Piatak's points but overall he levies quite a bit of damage upon Hitchens's so-called evidence and facts.

Plantinga's essay is a critical review of Dawkins's latest book, The God Delusion, and I think if you accept Plantinga's metaphysics then it is hard to argue against him ... at least successfully. Otherwise, I guess it just depends on what you choose to see.

I would love to comment more, but I am spending the rest of the evening with this (Mozart's Requiem), some of this (slurp), and bits of this (Communio articles; just about finished "Mirth and Freedom in The Magic Flute" by Jonah Lynch; a good read) for break time while I try to finish reading this (if you don't know why, don't ask, just follow the next link) so I can finish that.

No comments: